Wednesday 26 November 2014

Post 15 - "Strike" - Edited


STRIKE

A call for help from the Delivery Suite emptied the coffee room in seconds just as Karen and Abigail wandered in. They had just delivered twins and felt they deserved a break. There were plenty of other midwives around.

"You in Unison or the Royal College?" asked Abigail, vigorously stirring her coffee.
"Unison" replied Karen with her coffee halfway to her mouth, "why?"
"I wondered if you'd be striking on Thursday?"
Strike!” Karen was startled, “No, never, not me. I couldn't”
So you'll be a scab then." Abigail sounded just like Karen's father. It turned out she was the union rep and was very persuasive in her arguments, just like Karen's Dad had been. It was as hard to resist as a tornado.
"The Government are taking the piss."

So it was that on a chilly November morning Karen found herself outside her hospital with a placard in her hand. A large group of hospital employees surrounded her cheering and waving when rush hour motorists blew their horns in support.

Karen still had her doubts that this was a wise course of action. She was torn between the injustice of the reneged pay deal and the inborn desire to be upstairs helping new Mums
and their babies.

How does this strike harm the Government?” she commented to the paramedic standing alongside her. She stamped her feet as much for emphasis as against the cold."The people who suffer are the patients."

Before he could reply an old lady hobbling by butted in.

You can say that again. My hip op has been cancelled three times! Three times already! But it's not an emergency so I don't matter, never mind the pain that's driving me mad"

But madam, we haven't had a pay rise in four years and staff are leaving the health service in droves. Soon there won't be anyone left to care for you when you do get your operation.” the paramedic protested.

Oh, I know, I know, but when you can't get about even to do a bit of shopping you get tired of waiting." and with that she limped away

The paramedic sighed and Karen watched the old lady, struggling to cross the busy road.

What's the alternative, that's what I'd like to know.” The paramedic said over his shoulder to Karen as he went to the old ladies aid, raising his hand to stop the oncoming cars and assisting her across to the other side. Karen grinned, the urge to care was so strong in most health care staff they couldn't help themselves.

434 words – 84 over the suggested limit. So not too bad.

I feel I have responded to my reviewers comments. I find writing authentic sounding dialogue quite difficult. Even reading it out loud doesn't help. Is there a way of expressing tone of voice, I wonder?

No comments:

Post a Comment