Sunday 30 November 2014

Post 19 - Confidential character sketch

Week 5

It has been suggested that we write a character sketch in a style we're not used to. As I have said on Future Learn I felt that breaking character portrayal into 4 methods was artificial as I feel most authors used an ideal/mixed method. Imagination combined with bits of oneself and people one knows. I know I do. My husband tried to convince me otherwise citing Jack Kerouac "On the Road" and Catch 22, I still don't agree. Writing a barely disguised autobiography isn't fiction to my mind.

However, what an interesting exercise. It took me some time to think who I knew well enough to be able to write a character sketch about. Once I began though I really enjoyed the process although I found changing some of the details to protect the innocent(!) harder than I thought, which is why I am not going to publish it on this Blog. I don't know how we get to see each other's assignments on Future Learn if we are not the reviewer. We should be able to see those of the people we're following.

I have to say having done the initial character sketch my imagination took over and I was developing the whole thing into a short story before I knew where I was. I love having the community of other prospective writers spurring me on.

No comments:

Post a Comment